Monday, October 26, 2020

Tourism and xenophobia

A week or so ago, I learned that Bill Malone, former director of the Park City Chamber and Visitors Bureau was retiring at age 66. Bill came to Park City in 1999 after serving in similar functions in Jackson Hole, Wyoming, and Steamboat Springs, Colorado. He also got lucky, I think, to find himself in the perfect sport at the right time. 

Typically, this job requires good administration and hospitality skills, that is, respect and value the visitor to Park City. This said, while highly visible, this is mostly a caretaker position that doesn’t require much creativity or special talent. 

As I have written many times, Park City developed into what it is now, not so much because of the Chamber Bureau good work, the 2002 Olympics or any other special event, but first and foremost thanks to Delta Air Lines purchasing Western Airlines in 1987 and keeping Salt Lake as a vital hub in the heart of the mountain west region, bringing 25 millions passengers a year, only 35 minutes away from our ski resort. 

I have always respected and be very civil toward Bill Malone and the only “kink” in our relationship happened more than 11 years ago, when he had re-posted on his Facebook account a statement by Orrin Hatch, then Utah’s senator, criticizing the upcoming Obamacare. 

I responded quite politely to it, and was told by Malone that “Only an arrogant Frog would make such a stupid statement”. I responded with a touch of humor, but quite politely though, and I called me soon after that for an apology which he reluctantly produced. 

 As the status of limitation has now passed, I still can’t believe this unbecoming, xenophobic statement coming from someone promoting tourism, and making his living from that industry. I chose not to bring that misstep to the public eyes in those days, as it might have cost him his job and had almost forgotten about Bill until news of his retirement stirred back these memories. 

That’s right, today, Bill is retiring after more than 20 years at the helm of our top tourism institution. Some will miss him dearly, he’s even been inducted into the Utah Tourism Hall of Fame earlier this month which shows how serious the nominated committee was in vetting that laureate and not checking his record on bigotry and discrimination too closely! 

I have forgiven him for his nice words towards me and I feel his departure is a great opportunity for all of us to learn something good from it, and I still wish old Bill the most happy trails!

No comments: