Friday, January 21, 2022

In defense of snowplow (Part 3)

This a recurring subject for me, as I have covered it in 2011 and 2015 in that blog. 

In recent years, the use of snowplow for learning to ski has been largely demonized by some who claim that it’s a weak position from a bio-mechanical standpoints, which, they say, is ineffective at slowing, stopping or steering. 

These folks claim that better alternatives exist when the skis are kept parallel, as the snowplow works only on flat terrain and very slow speeds, and the hockey-stop should be preferred. What they forget of course is that beginner skiers can’t afford (mostly mentally) to go fast enough to produce a hockey-stop. 

So, as far as I’m concerned, snowplow is a valid teaching technique that should leave place to parallel skiing when the skier is familiarized with speed. Yet, it should remain in one’s tool-box when circumstances demand it. 

I was reminded about it once more, when I watch the famous Wengen ski races a few days ago. I don’t know if you too have watched some of the Lauberhorn downhill races in Wengen, Switzerland, last weekend and have noticed how some top flight ski racers are still using the good old “snowplow”, aka “wedge” or “pizza” to slow down their speed just before the Kernen-S turn. 

Other racers did a more stylish, wiggly turn, but my personal experience as well as my ski DNA says that nothing beats a solid snowplow when speed reduction is needed. I don’t care about the purists that sneeze at a second-natured wedge or pizza when circumstance demand it. 

After all its part and parcel of a strong skier toolbox. A strong, energetic snowplow is to skiing what disc brakes are to motorized driving, compared to yesteryear drum brakes! 



No comments: