Tuesday, January 10, 2023

Annie Lanvers, 1943-2013

My sister-in-law, Annie passed away this Sunday. She and my brother Gaston had met during the winter of 1973, when she came as a teacher with her elementary class from Paris, for a month in Morzine, as this was customary in France back in those days. 

They got married in September 1973 and Annie got a job as a teacher in the newly created, tiny school at the nascent Avoriaz ski resort, catering to a handful of kids, before being appointed later on at Morzine, a well established community down valley. 

Annie was a city girl who had to adapt to the rough, rural lifestyle of my home village of Montriond. I never really had a chance to know her well enough since I left the family home in 1974 and France in 1977. 

As a result our relationship was always cordial but not really close. In recent years, Annie ran into some terrible health problems as she had been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, had lung cancer and suffered from some horrible pains attributable to a fall in her kitchen. 

In addition, she had to accompany her husband Gaston through his very long and harrowing lung disease, until his death in August 2020.

My last communication with her was a call for help; at the end of December she fell on the floor, was alone, and needed assistance. Some unfortunate circumstances will prevent me to attend her funerals scheduled for Friday, bu I will very much be there in thoughts thinking how her grand-daughter Victoria, her son Yves and all of us will miss her.



No comments: