Thursday, January 12, 2023

How good is our new transit system?

In November, I had explained our upgraded transit system, including on-demand microbus. 

Yesterday, I tested it and, as I feared, it wasn’t that simple. In the afternoon, I got dressed, put my ski boots on and dialed my ride at 1:11pm, using the phone app. 

My ride supposed to show up in 10 minutes made it in 15 and dropped me by a bus stop, but very close to the ski lifts, so I decided to walk and not take the bus. I arrived at the lift at 1:44 pm. No bad, but not great. My car would had taken me there in 7 minutes. 

On the way back home, it got more complicated. I took off my skis at 4:14 pm and walk to the bus loading area. There was none going to my subdivision, so I jumped in the next best vehicle that took me to the Park City High School. 

When I got there however, the app told me to take a bus back to the one going to MY neighborhood, so I took a half a mile shortcut and got there, hopped in the next bus, called a microbus and was home by 5:00 pm. In both cases, I had a hell of a time fitting my skis in the minivan ski rack. 

So, all in all, a long time on the road plus a two times half a mile hike, so long in fact, that next time, I might continue taking my car!

No comments: