Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Snow and solar panels…

My solar panels have been totally snow-covered in 2023 and with it, I get no power from the sky. Like the rest, this will pass and eventually the snow will slide when the load is heavy enough for that. 

Granted, my roof pitch is not very steep, just 4:12, meaning an angle of about 18.4°, so the snow is more likely to linger for a while. 

Of course, I’d like to find a solution to that problem, but my initial research has shown that the best way to do it would be to ignore it, simply because it just won’t stay there forever and risking my life to climb on the roof and pushing the snow off the panels isn’t quite worth it. 

Obviously, if the distance allow it, one might try a squeegee or a rake at the end of a long pole, but here again, it’s asking for trouble as 100 pounds or more of hard, frozen snow might fall on the operator. Finally, all these attempts of removing forcibly the snow might simply damage the panels. 

This said, I have thought of using some electric air blower or water spray to remove the snow, but I don’t want to add more gizmos on my roof, so I’m still scratching my head for a revolutionary solution!

No comments: