Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Unique in Utah: skiing in the fog

If there’s one thing I’d never done in Park City in almost 40 years, was ski in a thick fog. This just happened yesterday as I was planning to enjoy some great snow and trying to make the best out of 3 hours of afternoon skiing at Ninety-nine-90, my favorite spot. 

The last time I remember skiing in that delirious substance was back in the days when I was instructing in Avoriaz, France, a place often shrouded by fog because of a perfect combination of altitude and high humidity. 

I quickly remembered that skiing in the fog is no fun, especially in fairly deep snow and steep terrain, you get that “sinking feeling” and you don’t know where you’ll stop or what will swallow you alive. 

This could be compared to “white knuckle driving”, but that instantly took care of my speed, my assurance and my fluidity, but in spite of that I stuck around till closing time, when of course, the fog cleared and made room for more snow.

Thanks again, global warming!

No comments: