Wednesday, January 4, 2023

Getting used to “2023”

When we used to write checks to pay for everything, it was always difficult not to write the date of the previous year for the first payments made in January, and as we write a lot less of them, this simple act becomes even more difficult to achieve correctly.

I personally have a hard time realizing that I’m living into a brand new year. Further, since 2022 was pretty good to me, why should I take a chance and bet everything I have on a totally unknown entity like 2023? Well, it’s the same old duality between the devil we know and the one we don’t. 

How can we trust change when the usual routine felt so nice and when there’s no guarantee whatsoever that things won’t be at least as good and not worse than the year before? Well, I think I won’t have many other choices but accept my fate and embrace the uncertainty and the mixture of fear and positive expectations. 

If we’re often lucky to be afforded many options, we have none in this particular case, so better say: “Welcome 2023!” and shut up.

No comments: