Monday, May 3, 2010

The journey and the destination

This Sunday morning was loaded with promises; the snow was falling like crazy and my friend Dirk Beal and me drove to Snowbird for what would be an incredible ski day. The roads were snowy, we had to wait till the avalanches were cleared in Little Cottonwood Canyon, made it there just before 10 am in what appeared to be between 12 to 18 inches of new snow.
Peruvian Express was reopened as the tram was temporarily out of service; we hiked the tunnel, skied Mineral Basin and we managed to weave our way into the large crowds and ski till our bodies couldn't in a creamy, deep but dense snow that got the very best inside of us. Truth is that we took the time for a leisurely lunch and the beer we had killed whatever juice was left inside our legs. The bad news was that when I tried to shoot videos of our runs, my camera ran out of batteries, so I ended up capturing most of the journey to that epic day, but not what happened at the destination which evidently was beyond words, and... pictures!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing the day. Everywhere I followed the green boots was fabulous! - Dirk