Sunday, May 9, 2010

The power of inspiration

When I was a kid I could draw inspiration from a wide variety of individuals I was looking up to, without prejudgment and with my brand-new illusions. The dose of inspiration I tapped in during my early years would become the fuel
that would contribute to modeling me the way I am today. My point is that inspiration is to a human what light is to a plant and we can always use more of it. As years go on, delusions set in and as cynicism grows, that magical material becomes less abundant and as we grow older the well quickly dries up and that's really too bad. Last month, as I was skiing in Snowbird, an older guy, neatly geared up was in the tram and I could identify him as Junior Bounous, the local director of skiing.

The man was born in 1925 and growing up in Provo Canyon, was quickly exposed to the full pallet of winter sports. He instructed in Alta from 1948 to 1958, prior to moving on to California's Sugar Bowl, then returned to Utah to what's today Sundance before becoming the chief instructor at Snowbird in 1970. So that day, the 85 year old was in the company of what appeared to be a client and ready to crank a few turns. I've also heard that he skied down Pipeline couloir in Snowbird when he was 80 which made a strong impression on me. In view of all that and in spite of his native Mormonism, I decided on the spot that this unassuming fellow would become my skiing inspiration for at least the next couple of decades, and that made my day...

No comments: