Thursday, August 4, 2011

I found a car!

Yesterday, as I was picking mushrooms (again!) my zigzagging through the hills brought me to what is called Daly Chute #10 at Deer Valley Resort. I crossed the steepest portion of that chute about 100 feet away from the top still rimmed with some leftover cornice snow.

As usual, in summer, I was shocked by how steep, the easiest of all Daly Chutes looked and as my glance went down the ragged gully, it stopped on what appeared to be the rear end of a car mostly covered with dirt and overgrown with vegetation. I carefully proceeded down the seasonal creek bed formed by the snow-melt and got close enough to what appeared to be a bright-red, Chevrolet Corvair Coupe, built sometime in the sixties.

I didn't lean over the broken door window to check if the passengers were okay and kept going down the hill. So if you don't want to get stuck in a rut next time you decide to descend Daly Chute #10, don't take your car, even if it's the most rugged SUV. Don't even hike down, trust me, stay on your skis!

No comments: